Saturday, July 5, 2008

Defending my faith

I find it very interesting that a person’s character, beliefs, and faith are questioned by simply being on the opposite side of a political spectrum. We’ve encountered friends and family who can’t fathom not supporting a conservative candidate with a conservative agenda. From the shock and awe facial expressions, to the spam email chains and the doom and gloom speeches, we have seen and heard it all. If you haven’t guessed, Leslie and I both support Barack Obama for President. This wasn’t blind support of a candidate or let’s hop on the bandwagon support. Leslie and I both are pro-life and believe that marriage is ordained by God between a man and a woman so how could we support a candidate that is pro-choice and supports civil unions.

It is actually a simple thought process based on Jesus teachings. “Love one another as I have loved you.” We live in a society with poverty, prejudice, hatred, sickness, apathy, crime, violence, illiteracy, global warming, war, religious intolerance, and broken homes. There are many issues facing our cities, country, and our world. Yes there are some moral issues that face us but we should not shoulder our support in the political process for a few moral issues because there are many life issues that are just as important. My faith is not defined by a moral issue it is defined by believing in Jesus as the Son of God and his life, death, and resurrection as atonement for my sins.

I believe in the authority and holiness of the Bible and found the following post interesting: James Dobson Doesn’t Speak for Me
  • What does speak for me is David's psalm celebrating how good and pleasant it is when we come together in unity;
  • Micah speaks for me in reminding us that the Lord requires us to act justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with Him;
  • The prophet Isaiah speaks for me in his call for all to come and reason together and also to seek justice, encourage the oppressed and to defend the cause of the vulnerable;
  • The book of Nehemiah speaks for me in its example to work with our neighbors, not against them, to restore what was broken in our communities
  • The book of Matthew speaks for me in saying to bless those that curse you and pray for those who persecute you;
  • The words of the apostle Paul speak for me in saying that words spoken and deeds done without love amount to nothing.
  • The apostle John speaks for me in reminding us of Jesus' command to love one another. The world will know His disciples by that love.

This is just my two cents. I will gladly respect view points that differ from mine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike,

I am so glad to see someone has had the courage to say what they think about a subject that is not so popular among our family and friends. I saw Obama on TV before he had anything to do with being a Presidental candidate, and I said if that man ever runs for President I will be voting for him. He seemed to be such a great family man, with a beautiful wife and children. They seemed to have such great values. That was before he became a candidate, and all the mud slinging started. I have had family members that had an abortion, and I do not love them any less than I did before even thought that is something that I would never do. I have also known good people who are homosexual, that I really like although that is something that my mind cannot conceive. They are all sins just like my sins. I have asked my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, to forgive me and I have to do that on a daily basis. All of you who know me, know that's a fact. LOL
Anyway it's nice to hear someone say something positive for a change. I love you and cannot wait for you four to get back home.

Aunt Judy